When the sun is shining and you’re in need of a refreshing energy boost, why not hold the iced coffee for a change and try an Espresso Tonic instead? If you’ve never tried it, you may be thinking exactly what we did – that it’s never going to work. But trust us, a shot of coffee, a squeeze of orange and some tonic water really may be the refreshing sip you’ve been longing for.
The Espresso Tonic has started to emerge in speciality coffee shops all over the world. Here at Little’s, we decided to see what all the fuss was about by trying it out with our very own Little’s Premium Ethiopian Instant Coffee. Our verdict? It’s a yes from us.
LITTLE’S ESPRESSO TONIC RECIPE
- Double shot of Little’s Premium Ethiopian Instant Coffee (Make this using one heaped teaspoon of coffee with 50ml of boiling water)
- 100ml Fever Tree tonic water (this is our fave)
- Ice cubes
- 3/4 orange syrup (recipe below)
For the Orange Syrup:
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 100ml hot water
- 100g Demerara sugar
1. To make the orange syrup, pour the Demerara sugar into a bowl and cover with the hot water. Stir. Add the orange juice. Stir until all mixed together.
2. Pour ice cubes, the Little’s coffee and the orange syrup into the shaker and shake until cold.
3. Fill a glass with some more ice and add the tonic water. Strain the cold espresso and orange mixture into the glass. Garnish with a wedge of orange and enjoy!
The high-grade Ethiopian coffee that we source is naturally sweet and fruity, which makes it a match made in heaven when mixed with the sharpness of the orange. Shaken up, they work together to cut through the bitter tonic. We are IN LOVE with this recipe as it’s quick, easy and convenient to make at home, not to mention the perfect caffeine fix without paying speciality coffee shop prices.
This alternative coffee also tastes like you should be drinking something a little naughtier. If you’re ‘designated driver’ at the barbecue this weekend, why not try this as a mocktail option? This recipe can be batch-made and chilled in the fridge, or you can take it into the office for the work friends.
If you have a go at this recipe, be sure to take a picture and tag us! @wearelittles #LivenUpYourCup