Is there anything better than a sweet treat with a cup of coffee of an afternoon? We think not. Which is why we’ve created a recipe for the ultimate chocolate brownie that everyone will love. Gooey and fudgy with crunch in all the right places, these brownies have a subtle hint of Little’s Coffee that adds richness to every bite without putting off those who don’t like coffee (why are they even our friends?). We upped the ante by adding chunks of white chocolate to the mixture, too.
We used Little’s chocolate orange instant coffee, but our vanilla Nespresso compatible pods would work a dream.
Makes: 10-12 squares
Time: 45 mins–1 hour
- 240g unsalted butter
- 320g dark chocolate
- 4 medium eggs
- 400g caster sugar
- 80g plain flour
- 2 tsp instant coffee or 1 espresso capsule – we used Chocolate orange
- 125g white chocolate
The ultimate chocolate brownie recipe method:
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC and butter and line a 20cm high-sided baking tin with baking paper
- Chop up the butter and dark chocolate into squares and place in a heatproof bowl
- Put your bowl on top of a pan of simmering water on the hob, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Stir until the mixture has melted and set aside to cool to room temperature
- Meanwhile, mix your coffee granules or shot of espresso with 100ml of boiling water and leave to cool
- In a stand mixer (or a hand whisk), whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture has doubled in volume and turns pale in colour. Leave it to rest for a minute and bang the bowl on the worktop to remove some air
- By hand, fold the flour into the egg and sugar mixture, then add the cooled chocolate mixture and cooled coffee. Fold through until completely combined, then break up and fold in chunks of white chocolate
- Pour your mixture into the prepared tin and knock out some air bubbles before placing into the oven
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a knife comes out with mixture on top that’s warm to the touch but still gooey looking. If the brownie wobbles when you pull it out of the oven, it needs a little more time
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tray to cool, then remove and cut into squares. Sprinkle on a little sea salt for the ultimate finishing touch.
- Eat while warm if you like your brownies gooey and delicious or keep in the fridge overnight
Share your bakes with us on social: @wearelittles. We love to see 'em!