Nothing says Pancake Day more than a messy frying pan and the smell of burning batter. Here is our version of the pancakes you should be making this Shrove Tuesday.
Makes 8 small pancakes
- 1-2 tbsp of Little’s Swiss chocolate instant coffee (but you can use any flavour you like!)
- 1 cup of sifted plain flour (wholemeal if you wanna be healthy)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
Swiss chocolate coffee pancakes method:
- Pre-heat the oven to 70ºC (this is just so you can keep the finished pancakes warm while you’re finishing the others).
- Throw the sifted flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and stir together. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Now add the Little’s Flavoured Instant Coffee granules and whisk until the coffee dissolves.
- Now it’s time to introduce the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and give them a little mix together, without over-mixing. The pancake batter should have small lumps in it, don’t worry, this is normal!
- Heat your frying pan on a medium-low heat and brush the pan with a tablespoon of butter (or coconut oil). Fill up a ¼ of a cup with the batter mix and pour into the pan. Cook the batter until bubbles form along the sides and in the centre.
- Now the fun part... flip your coffee pancakes like a boss. It’s easier said than done and there’s bound to be a disaster, but it’s all part of the fun, right? Cook on the flip side until golden brown. Transfer your pancakes to the oven to keep warm until you're ready to eat.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, honey, yoghurt, fruit… pretty much anything you fancy!
Shop Little’s Swiss Chocolate flavoured coffee.